New ideas. New plans. A new bookcase from World Market to display our scholarly collection of cookbooks, homebrewing manuals and young adult fiction.
At the end of every year, I like to reflect on what I've done with the past 365 days and what goals I hope to accomplish in the new year, both realistic and lofty, way-out-there goals that usually require a bit of free time, money or both.
I read Lan's (of Angry Asian Creations) Live It List on a particularly daydreamy day and was instantly inspired. So I decided to compile one of my own. You'd be surprised at what makes it onto your list. There are things I didn't even realize I had the slightest interest in until I sat down and really mulled over it.
Try it out. It might give you some focus, an idea, a chuckle. Hell, it might even point you in a direction that you never thought imaginable. Deep and borderline cliche (on my part) but totally possible.
My "Live It" List. By Alison H. Berry.
2. Hike the Kalalau Trail.
4. Watch every single one of Alan Rickman's movies.
5. Get a Brazilian wax.
6. Go on a trip. Solo.
7. Get front row seats/standing room at a concert.
9. Learn the choreography to a music video, tape it then play them side-by-side.
10. Drive cross country.
11. Pull off red lipstick without looking freakish and clown-like.
12. Sleep on the beach.
13. Host a Murder Mystery Party.
14. Get Berry White to take a dance class with me.
15. Take a shot of Jager with my wolfpack on a hotel rooftop.
16. Sleep in a treehouse.
17. Ride Drop Zone at King's Dominion without crying.
18. Teach my mom how to swim.
19. Drink coffee on the steps of a New York City brownstone.
20. Go an entire week without TV and internet.
21. Wear a skirt to work.
22. Throw a Harry Potter themed-party.
23. Tour a Trappist brewery.
24. Drink a tripel in Belgium.
25. Display a leg lamp in my window.
26. Learn a really good magic trick.
27. Meet Chef Duff.
28. Learn to hula.
29. Drink wine in Tuscany.
30. Get on a snowboard.
31. Have a kid. Or plural.
32. Swim with whale sharks in Holbox.
33. Eat something totally weird and Fear Factor-worthy.
35. Stand under a waterfall.
36. Play Hedwig's Theme on the recorder from start to finish.
37. Learn to Double Dutch.
38. Cross a rope bridge.
39. Sing karaoke in front of strangers.
40. Break free from the corporate world.
41. Make a friend while in another country.
42. Buy a Craftsman-style home with my lovedood.
43. "Learn to take life as it comes at you. To make each day count." Well said, Dawson (of the Chippewa Falls Dawsons.)
Now go and make your own list. Print it out and carry it around with you, along with a bright red Sharpie. You never know what you'll be checking off at the end of the day.Tweet